The Ashcraft Schoolhouse was built sometime before 1895 by Walter and
Amanda Ashcraft. It was the county directive of the time that a
schoolhouse be built every 5 miles so children ages 5-20 did not have to
walk too far for their education.
Students of all ages were seated in the same classroom and typically
started their day with prayer. Reading, writing, arithmetic, and
recitation were taught by the teacher, with the older students assisting
All children were needed at home to manage farm responsibilities so the
rural school year ran between harvest and planting time. Teachers were
paid around $25 a month at that time and some teachers lived with local
families during the school year.
In the 1920’s rural schoolhouses were closed and consolidated into
bigger schools. Originally located near Rocky Spring Church off Brief
Road, the vacant schoolhouse was purchased by neighbor William Augustus
Linker to be used as a hay barn.